Jun 10, 2010

[Movie] Surf's Up (2007)

Plot:

Based on the groundbreaking revelation that surfing was actually invented by penguins. In the film, a documentary crew will take audiences behind the scenes and onto the waves during the most competitive, heartbreaking and dangerous display of surfing known to man, the Penguin World Surfing Championship.

Surf's Up Trailer

G's thoughts:

* The plot sounds funny! *

So Surf's Up has just been recently added to my list of favorite animation movies, and I gotta say I LOVE this movie! Now that I remember when this movie was first released, around the same time when Happy Feet was, I kind of expected it to be disturbing as Happy Feet (I had only watched the trailer not the movie) was to me so it kind of put me off from watching it. Four days ago, that changed, I managed to watch the movie 3 times in just 2 days, haha. Yeah I really did love it!

The thing is, I never expected it to be like this, which just tells you never to expect anything from movies...just go watch them lol. From minute one you get the idea that this animation is going to be really good! The idea of how it was made and "recorded" was what made it good. Like it says in the plot, the film was in a form of a documentary. I loved this most of all. The "camera" work was like none other animation I've seen so far. It was very professional and as if it weren't an animated movie but more like a "real life" kind of movie. At one point, I also felt I was watching "Cribs" because of the way the camera moved. That was awesome!

I love Shia LaBeouf and the moment I heard his character speak I immediately knew that it was him. Though I still googled the movie to see who was the cast, and I was right! Now once I made sure that LaBeouf was the main character, I knew the animation was going to be fantastic. He did an amazing job with his part, his voice definitely fits for voice overs.

The other characters were hilariously fantastic too. Each one had their own unique style and brought a nice touch to the animation. The Pengonians were something, haha, thinking about the parts they appeared makes me chuckle.

Now the visual work was great. I have to say the waves were the glory of the movie! They looked very real like and had the "beautiful" factor to the point that you wanted to dive into your laptops screen into those beautiful waters and waves. 10/10 for visuals.

I could not have picked a better soundtrack for this movie. Every song played was perfect for the scene. Most of the songs were of Green Day and they had a beautiful favorite from Incubus too.



A fantastic animation to watch! So watch it if you haven't yet because it's funny, fast-paced and very enjoyable (will have you smiling by the end of it) so hands down it gets a solid 9/10 from me.

4 comments:

Salima Al Masrouri said...

It's a cute movie! Reminds me of uni days for some reason

Thanks for sharing your review, glad you're back to blogging - although I know it's kinda temp ;)

Miss you :*

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Nay nay nay, not temp at all. I'm committed now =P I already have 2 posts on hold. So heads up =D

Miss you more :*

Hamdy Elgammal said...

haha, I loved Surf's Up...It looks incredibly hard to do a documentary-styled animation like that but the filming looks so natural.

Nice review =D
AND UPDATE! NAW!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

I know right! The idea it self sounded odd...but it turned out perfectly and as you said natural.

*Updating*