Apr 1, 2010

[Movie] The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)

Plot:

The astounding, well-documented story of a family forced to relocate near a clinic where their son was being treated for cancer. Strained financially and emotionally, the family discovers their recently renovated home was a former mortuary with a dark history. After experiencing violent supernatural events both inside and out of the house, the family seeks the help of ghost hunters and the Catholic Church, which performs an exorcism.

The Haunting in Connecticut trailer


Another horror. In my eyes, horror movies have been restored because of this movie. Who knew! Actually, my grade 10 student told me that the movie's good and that I should watch it. So I ended up doing just that and I truly LOVED it! I found the story interesting than any exorcism stories out there. It felt much more realistic and had a stronger feel to it. Yeah! I really liked it.

When I read the title the first time, I had imagined something like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", which was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Weird enough when you expect something, the opposite happens. Not always, but much frequently. I really thought that I would hate this movie; blood and gore, and a useless killer out to kill everyone. Didn't see that! Like I said the story was good.

It was pretty horrific. I freaked out a couple of times and looked away at a certain scene but this is what I want from horror movies. I want them to be scary not disgusting. This is what you get from "The Haunting in Connecticut"! What made this movie freaky-ier is that it's based on a true story.

I loved the main actor! Kyle Gallner. I think he played his part very well. The last few scene's of him were my most favorite...his acting was very real and flawless (not trying hard) so hoping to see more of him in any upcoming, not necessarily horror, films. He stood out the most for me compared to the others but his "little sister" creeped me out with her eyes. As if she was possessed or something lool. Kids in horror movies - horrific combination! P.S. There's a Spock look a like if you can spot him loool

I loved the music, especially with the final scene. First horror movie that almost brought me to tears. I liked the place and how the movie was shot. One scene was a bit weak...but the movie was good enough to bother about it. Honestly, I was so happy with this movie that I will have no problem watching it again.


I was expecting a scene from Lord of the Rings with this track.
Such a beautiful piece and fit perfectly with the scene.

A definite recommendation to those out there with the horror bone!

Rating: 9/10

4 comments:

Hamdy Elgammal said...

That looks good! I liked The Exorcist and The Exorcism of Emily Rose...Most people find The Exorcist funny; I always enjoyed being the one who found it touching =D (and I really appreciated all the mechanical work they did with the thing when there were no special computer effects to do anything)

I'll make sure I find a good torrent for this and see it for myself =D

Thanks for the heads up and keep posting ^_^

Enas Satir said...

Girls of Riyadh.. hmm.. am wondering how that went.. cause i read it n arabic.. and i can't imagine it sounding as good in english.. since most of the funny lines are the arabic/english mixing!

AmasE°♥ said...

ooooh i didn't see it yet... in fact I went to the Cinema and i only stare @ the poster :( ..... and then i said naaaaah and returned home... after reading ur post i guess i'm so exciting to watch it....
cheers,

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Thready hoped you liked the movie if you watched it!!

Satir the book was fantastic actually, one of my favorite reads and I'd get why you'd say that but they got those arabic/english mixing spot on. *Feel like reading it again*

AmasE definitely watch it. It's a good movie!