Nov 26, 2009

[Movie] Paranormal Activity (2007)

Plot:

After a young, middle class couple moves into what seems like a typical suburban "starter" tract house, they become increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be demonic, but is certainly most active in the middle of the night. Especially when they sleep. Or try to.
Oooook!

This movie was horrible! Yes, horrible. It's truly as scary as you've heard it would be. I just want to know, is this under the horror genre, because honestly if it was then it was the scariest horror movie I've ever seen. Well, it's probably the first horror movie that I actually thought was scary/horrible because most horror movies I've seen, to-date, are mostly gore with a lame or no story and I didn't find them scary but more like disgusting. So kudos to Paranormal Activity for actually being scary.

Anyways, back to the movie; like I was saying it was very scary, horrible scary, thrill scary. A "scary" that you don't usually enjoy (I did not just say that lol since when anyone enjoys scary?). There came a certain point in the movie where I was going to close my laptops screen or even just throw the laptop out of the window because I was alone and started getting really freaked out. Weird enough I was glued to the screen because I want to see.... . I had to keep watching. My eyes where all over the place because I didn't want to miss anything. Then once you notice something different or out of place you start freaking out because you know something is going to happen. Worst thing for me about this movie is not being able to see much because it was dark and all I relied on was the time at the bottom-left corner of the screen and the sound.

The way this movie was filmed was awesome (my opinion of course). It's one of those movies where just "raw" footage was used just like in Cloverfield and Quarantine. You know how people send their funny video to "America's Funniest Home Videos"? (example) Like that. A family video. It made everything seem like it was...real. I started freaking out actually because I thought this was a true story until the end where I read it wasn't.

Now the actors/acting. I'm kind of in the middle with them. A part of me is thinking the acting was lame and not done so well, while at the same time I thought this is what gave the viewers the feel that it's "real"; like they're not reading of a script or anything of this sort but more like they're the ones making this movie. It was natural.

The ending was a disappointment for me. Endings are so important because it's like the slap to the face or something. Endings are usually the one that you excess talk about because they were THAT great. It was average. I was expecting a worse horrible scare.

I watched this movie alone which is actually a mistake because the night I watched it I couldn't sleep at all. Surprise surprise, I know it takes me time to sleep but the movie just made me worse and I was still freaked out from it. My heart even hurt from all the "holding breath in" and the scares, so on, so on.

I'm planning to watch this again with my friends but I'm still not over watching it the first time lol It was horrible and it truly messes you up big time.

8/10

5 comments:

cK said...

defenitly scary xD ! i guess they made the ending this way to keep u in suspense =P but i agree they shouldv done it better !

id give it an 8.5/10 !
still unable to sleep :p?

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

I read somewhere there was more than one ending. I want to see the other ones lol

naaawh! passed that phase =P

Abdools' Jukebox said...

I loved this movie, watched it like 5 time. All of which I wasn't alone :X

Lak47 said...

G, you seen the Blair Witch Project?

If you 'enjoyed' this (ROFL) you might want to take a look at that!

It's similar, one of those raw footage kinds.

And now, after reading your review, I think I MUST watch this soon! :D

Cheers!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Dullister: I think it's more fun when you watch it with people. I wish I didn't watch it alone for me many reasons including what I just said.

Lak: I've read around how this movie has been compared to Blair Witch Project. I don't think I want to see it because I didn't enjoy this one much xD it creeped me out and it had the whole effect on me. I became paranoid at night with every little sound I heard. Couldn't sleep xD

I like how the idea of raw film footage. Very cool!

You watch it and enjoy it ;)