Nov 8, 2009

[Band] Outlandish

Note: this post is dedicated to Nadia (aka Dofari Gucci) but it's open to everyone as well! *innocent*

Who are these guys?
Outlandish are a multi-award winning hip-hop group based in Denmark. Formed in 1997, they consist of Isam Bachiri (born in Denmark and of Moroccan background), Waqas Ali Qadri (born in Denmark and of Pakistani background), and Lenny Martinez (born in Honduras and is of Cuban and Honduran descent). All three members are devoutly religious, Isam and Waqas being Muslims, and Lenny being Catholic. The band members live in Brøndby Strand.

Outlandish's hip-hop/R&B/soul music sound takes influences from their various backgrounds (Moroccan/Arab/Amazigh, Pakistani/Punjabi and Latin American), and although their songs are primarily in English, they usually feature lyrics in Spanish, Urdu/Punjabi, Danish, and Arabic. All these influences make the music of Outlandish somewhat unique and this is easy to notice from the variety of genres covered in their albums. Outlandish often include themes about Islam and contemporary issues facing young Muslims in the west in their music, and sometimes their songs define a unique nasheed-like urban genre.
Read more at Outlandish's Wikipedia Page

Well I just want to blog about how fantastic these guys are and post some of my favorites and probably the best songs by Outlandish. I definitely consider them on my top favorite bands (out of all the American rocks bands list -__-") because honestly they're just fantastic and definitely do you proud for 1. who they are 2. their fantastic songs and 3. for the many strong messages they send out to the world and the youth of today. Kudos!

They've released 4 albums:
Sadly, I only managed to get my hands on two albums, Closer Than Veins and Sound of a Rebel, and some of the well known songs, which became favorites, from Bread & Barrels of Water. If I have to say which album is my favorite so far then I'd definitely point at Closer Than Veins. That album is fantastic and I loved every single song!

Anyways, enough with the mushy talk and let me share some of their awesome songs.

Outlandish - Aicha


If you know this song then you're most probably singing along with it lol Beautiful!

Outlandish - Walou


Okay! This has to be my favorite from Bread & Barrels of Water.
A strong song with powerful lyrics, beautiful guitar work and a perfect video.

Outlandish - Guantanamo


A more upbeat song. About familia! *heart*

Outlandish - Look Into My Eyes


This song was originally a poem written by Gihad Ali (a Palestinian girl) which voiced out in the clearest way the distances between Palestinian experience and American experience. Another video was produced for this song that I like more.
A link to the Poem.

Outlandish - Callin' You


Aaah...I honestly just LOVE this song! ♥
Beautiful, beautiful! Better than any song that sings about women as if they're only pieces of meat. This is respect right here! Official Video
Taken from the Arabic song "Tamally Maak" by Egyptian superstar singer Amr Diab.

Outlandish - Always Remember


This beautiful song is the Callin' You of Closer than Veins album ♥

Outlandish - Feels Like Saving the World


Another upbeat song! Love it!
I didn't post the official video because they don't include Lenny's part in it (which is the nicest part lol). Link to Official Video
Just discovered that there is a Remix version by Svenstrup & Vendelboe of this song.

Fantastic band! If you don't know them or heard any of their songs, you're kinda missing out lol.

Oh and no one will ever find me listening to hip-hop/R&B/Rap but seriously these guys are a gigantic exception. Their songs have meaning I have to say.

The Official Outlandish Site ~~ Outlandish on MySpace Music

Tell us your favorite(s) =D

7 comments:

Muggle said...

I love love love this post! I liked every single video you posted except for the one before the last (didn't find it too special). There's also one called I Only Ask of God which I enjoy :).

Nadia said...

Oh I'm flattered ... and frustrated because my old computer at work is deaf/mute/dumb/blind, and won't play music, and I'm really really really in the mood for listening to the songs you just posted. Dammit, I'll have to wait to get home, or perhaps they're delivering my new flat-screen to my office today? Fingers crossed. Thanks for the post!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Muggle: yaaay! Glad you did. Oh the second to last is a personal favorite. It had it's time though lol. There are many more amazing songs from them like the one you mentioned. I love the lyrics of that song!

Nadia: aaaw, no problem. Check them out when you have the time and a fully functioning computer =P Tell us what you think ya! ^^

Anonymous said...

The first time I heard "calling you" I thought it was directed to God... parts of the lyrics do fit quite perfectly XD

cK said...

walo and aisha rocks ! but the best is calling u :D !
thx for the share, i just loved the old them then the modern one =p

Enas Satir said...

and "calling you" isn't dedicated to God? i thought it is!

Enas Satir said...

i LOVE outlandish!
been forever since i heard anything from them..
maybe i should dig out some of them songs :P