Nov 5, 2009

[What's This?] Who decides this stuff?

So I would like to know who decides that a certain movie is good, funny, scary and so on. No really! You find these little quotations on the back or front of a DVD cover along the lines of:

"Scary as Hell" Dustin Putman, themovieboy.com
"Mind Blowing" Philadelphia Weekly

you get the idea. Okay, they do state who said these but seriously, seriously how reliable are these sources? Some of these quotations are just a bit too much for a certain movies sometimes. Like you expect for a movie to be really scary but instead it turns out to be just pure gore and if you're lucky you get one tiny horrific, scary scene. Where's the "scariness" they're talking about? Or take a comedy. They say that it's so funny that you will fall of your chair (something like that lol) and surprise surprise you crack a laugh once or twice and that's it. I didn't fall of my chair! Where's the part that's going to make me fall of my chair!!?

I think they add these , just to boost the movie and get people to watch but how would you feel when you read something like that or you're the type of person that relies on these quotations and after you watch the movie you're probably disappointed by it? I mean come on, let's be honest here and admit that these little quotations are actually doing their jobs to a certain extent. I mean how many movies, that I've picked out, mislead me to thinking that the movie is going to be "something" or or (second 'or' intended) I've watched the movie first then I read the quotations on the covers to see how they exaggerated about it when the movie was just...average.

Okay okay! I know "to each his own...something something" but we're allowed to disagree and have our own opinions at the same time right? I mean aaargh! they can be quite frustrating. I think it's best to either rely on yourself or get some feedback from someone's taste in movies (especially if that person is interested in the same genres as you) you trust OR (!) the quotations should come from a "reliable source" (for example, I'M a reliable source! *Kidding*). Yes! Some of these quotations can be accurate and spot on but others, honestly, whaaaaa!?

P.S. This post might seem useless, will make you think "who cares!" and does not make sense. Well, it's 12:40am NZ time, I can't sleep, and I'm feeling drowsy but this topic came up while chatting to a friend the other day so I thought about it and decided to let it out here lol Also, I'm a movies freak so that's why I would care plus, I've seen many disappointing movies whether I read the quotations before or after watching the movie.

G'Night from Kiwi land!

2 comments:

nosa said...

i never bother read those stuff.. even on books... coz theyr just marketing tools.. n wt 1 person might like .. another might hate..

i sometimes dont even like to watch trailers. they spoil the movie.. or gimmi a too exciting coverpage with a weak body..
not all though..

i sometimes woder who r those ppl :p the names y3ni.. can i have my name there :p?

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Word!!

For some unknown reason, trailers are a must for me xD even though they trick you sometimes -- Look at Year One -- but I agree, they do spoil a movie at a certain extent.

hehehe...I always wonder if I can have my name there =P