Dec 29, 2009

[Movie] The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Plot:

Three student documentary filmmakers venture into Maryland's Black Hills to discover the truth behind the myth of the Blair Witch -- and never return. The only trace of their disappearance comes one year later when their film footage, documenting their final terrifying days, is found.


Yeah! This horror was on TV this morning and I just said to myself "Aah what the hell, let me just watch it." even though I was having second thoughts about it from all that I've heard of it. For starters, I can say I liked this movie! It's a typical story but it's like none-other really. The difference in these sorts of movies compared to other horror or thriller is that they use the real names of the main actors. I got fascinated by their real acting, if you could call it that because basically, they're not well known actors (if at all) but random people (I guess) just so that the movie can be unique and has that extra realness to it.

The atmosphere is the typical type to any horror movie, especially those of freakishly shaped trees and tree branches. I actually hate that! It was dark beyond dark. Literally, this movie had the least amount of light during...rush hour? lol. Plus, you don't know what exactly it was they're facing. Was it a monster? A tree that can walk and talk? A friggin' CHILD?!! Maybe a witch?! I still don't know exactly what it was that they faced but all I know is that it was bad *eyes wide open*

What I really liked about this movie - again just like in Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity - is that the whole 'filming' was raw footage. Yes! Raw footage basically rules all for me - at the moment, who knows I might get bored of it later lol - because it gives you the "real life feel" kind of feeling. Scary right?! Yes! But this movie was different. There were TWO cameras. Now that's new! Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing but it was different yet annoying how magically the view changed from one camera to the other. Should that even be allowed to happen? Well, I'll just leave it at that.

Now the question is, did it scare me? It should have but it didn't. Surprised? I am. I honestly was expecting to be scared out of my comfy chair but I'm just sitting there with wide eyes open - I guess just trying hard to see what they were facing - and that's it. Like I didn't get the 'heart beating fast' feeling. Well maybe once. But yeah. I can say I was disappointed by that part but I still liked the movie. It had an interesting story to it but then it kind of leaves you with a cliff hanger. When the movie ended I literally screamed "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?". Yeah I was glued to the screen because I wanted to see...it!

I didn't want to watch this movie after I watched Paranormal Activity and you know how the whole hype between these two movies were; they got compared as to which was scarier. Well, they said that The Blair Witch Project was scarier...I'm gonna disagree. Dun dun dun duuuuun. Paranormal Activity left me paranoid for a few weeks and sleepless for a night or two. But The Blair Witch Project...nothing? I just liked it that's all.

I score it an 8/10.

P.S. An hour later I went out with my parents for lunch and I sat at our table kind of, let's say, "analyzing" the movie. This movie has a BIG flaw!! Hint: read the plot.

4 comments:

Abdools' Jukebox said...

It was scary at the end, it left me wondering what happened to that guy.

Tell me what happened!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

what happened to aaaaaaall of them xD

I don't know!!! I want to know though!

DiabMan said...

I thought Blair witch project had a more realistic appeal (If anything like that can be realistic at all)... so it caused abit of anxiety for me.
On the other hand, Paranormal Activity didn't affect me at all, and I actually found it funny!!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

You make a good point! But till now, I still don't know what was exactly out there that was killing them.

Lol, what was funny about it?

I think you laughed cos you were scared =PPP