Dec 20, 2009

Thareed Oman

I don't know where to begin but here I am, the start of the fourth day since I arrived to Oman and I'm loving it! Pressure has seized. Stress is gone. If there is anything I'm doing then it's for sure relaxing and taking my time with what ever that's occupying me before the seven boxes and four bags arrive for the unpacking. I think unpacking is less stressful than the packing? *thinks* I mean one can just take it easy...no rush.

I've spent the last few days sleeping, reading (a lot), unpacking the bag that I travelled with, playing a bit of Mahjong Titans, and going out here and there hunting for a phone. I need to get in touch with so many so bare with me.

Day of travel was surely the most hectic day. We ran like crazy trying to get everything done and the only time where we actually sat down and relaxed was when I drove us to AUX airport (my last long drive in NZ *cries*). Having not slept that night, we were moody as hell and I had anger issues. Actually, my anger needed some major managing the last week or two before our travel. I mean, I practically snapped and swore (nothing bad or big) at anything, some of which were funny especially when my Palestinian accent and side came out.

Our flight from AUX to beautiful Muscat was really good. If I'm not over-exaggerating then I can say it's the best flight so far. I had a plan where I'd watch about ten movies - movies that I've been desperately wanting to watch and I finally got the chance to - since I don't think I'd sleep through the whole flight... Well, from AUX to melbourne, a three and a half hour flight, I managed to get down Ice Age 3 and half of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Now the flight from Melbourne to Dubai, fourteen hours, is where I thought I'd begin my marathon. I ate while I completed the other half of Harry Potter 6 (which was a major disappointment or I was just too sleepy to give) to check that there was about twelve hours and a half remaining to Dubai. I slept from then till the remaining time was only three hours that I killed by watching Up and an episode of Fareej which I enjoyed a lot! Sleeping that much was greatly unexpected. But I was glad because it only made the flight shorter and quicker.

Seeing Baba when we came out of the sliding doors was hands-down the highlight of the last month or two. Finally it was all worth it really. Plus I greatly missed our house here, and my room even though it's empty and not very G-chan-ee but still...it will change once the rest of our stuff arrive *grins*

At first I had agrophobia (fear of going out) for reasons like the weather and the driving. Yesterday though I decided I'm going to go to CC with my parents. Well one of the reasons I decided to go is because I need a phone but actually I wanted to see the Omani world. I ended up driving us to CC thanks to Baba's trust in me. Who knew?! I drove as if I don't hold a full licence or as if it's the first time I take the wheel. Well I wasn't comfortable. Mirrors weren't positioned for me and the seat was uncomfortable plus I wasn't used to the car and the steering wheel being on the left side. I think Mama was more scared of my driving than the take-off and landing on our flights. So much for cheering me on. Roundabouts where the creepiest and toughest parts I had to deal with, otherwise I think I'll manage.

I haven't seen anything weird while I was walking there...maybe the time I went was the reason *jokes* But I did get an unfriendly reaction. While in one of the shops, I wanted to pass to get to the pants that caught my attention but a lady was blocking my way. She saw I wanted to pass but didn't even bother to move. I softly asked her to "excuse me" to which I got a deadly stare in return. Mission accomplished but what the...?!

I drooled over the number of Mustangs I saw. They're gorgeous monsters!

I had Thareed Chicken? or is it Chicken Thareed? Anywho, I think I'm in love because that dish will have to be my favorite Omani dish so far! I luuuuuurved it. The bread oh the bread! *drools*

I start my day basically after Fajr prayer where after I finish praying and reading Qura'an I lie back in my bed and read Interview with the Vampire I for two to three hours. Definitely an exciting book and I'm pretty amazed by the detailed explanations:


"The lights were going out, first in the balcony, and then along the walls of the main floor. A knot of musicians had gathered in the pit below the stage, and at the foot of the long, green velvet curtain the gas flickered, then brightened, and the audience receded as if enveloped by a gray cloud through with only the diamonds sparkled, on wrists, on throats, on fingers. And a hush descended like that gray cloud until all the sound was collected in one echoing persistent cough. Then Silence. ...

Interview with the Vampire Vo. I - Anne Rice

I really liked this part.

I need a good visit to Borders because for the mean time books are my occupation. The rest of the day comes un-planned which is good enough for me.

I'm glad I'm finally home!

12 comments:

Maryam said...

We're glad your bach home, too!

Happy reading! I've always wanted to read Anne Rice's work, but I guess I'm not into 'horror' that much or Vampire stories.

You'll get used to driving in Oman soon, inshallah.

7amdellah 3al salamah, for the third time. :)

Unknown said...

Welcome back to Oman! =D

Don't worry if you feel you don't know how to drive since you didn't drive here for a long time PLUS most people don't even know how to drive... so be careful while driving!

Getting a new phone is simple!
All you need to do is go out, see all the phones in front of you and if it has what you need and get it!
(I do my homework before going to buy a new phone! xD)

Oman has changed. Before it was all safe and nice but now it has changed a lot. Keep in mind there are more people who think of themselves only and don't care about others!

Now, have fun in Oman and keep in touch with whoever you need to! =P

IHMD said...

WB G-chan, Oman monawwarah :D
I gotta say that being on a country that people drive on the other side (eg. NZ) is confusing and somehow feels very weired like it is another planet or something and it is really great that you can handle both immediately ( I know I wouldn't lol)
all the talking about Thareed makes me wanna have it now for lunch ^^

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Kitten: Teslamo kitten for the third time =P they're not very horrific but maybe gruesome because the way the killing is described; as i said very detailed.

I hope I do get used to it because I love driving!

Squinty: Thank you! Yes definitely I'll be careful! I got my phone! The one I've wanted since summer SE C905. I love it!

Yes it did change quite a lot good and bad...but I still like it!

IHMD: Thank you! Lol you know when I read a comment from you I always seem to laugh I don't know why =P Believe you, me it is definitely a whole different world here!

mmmm thareed! I'm still not over it <3

Nadia said...

Dude, Ice Age 3 was to die for. The laughing gas scene. THE LAUGHING GAS SCENE!!! I watched it with my sister and we had to re-watch it three times.

Welcome back. We'll have to arrange a female bloggers' meeting in Muscat sometimes :)

Muggle said...

Welcome baaaaack G-Chan :D! El7amdella 3ala salamtesh!
lol I'm glad driving that day didn't put you off it. You'll get used to it inshallah.
Oh and I apologize on behalf of the rude Omani lady -_-.

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Muuuuuuggle! Allah yesalmich! *speaks with 5aleeji accent*

Yeah it was good 7amdulellah but I still consider the way people drive here "crazy" lol

lol you're so cute =P

IHMD said...

I'm embarrassed now, now your comment makes my self esteem grow like a plant in the sun (ofcourse with enough water otherwise oman's sun is gonna kill it)XD
looking forward for your next post :)

Rumaitha said...

Welcome back G =D

It's amazing being in Oh-man isn't it?!
Well you'll get your phone soon enough. You just need to decide which one to go for before hand.

And about the driving part. I totally get the idea, it's okay you'll be mastering the roads and roundabouts in no time.

Talking about mustangs, I should send you to a place where all you can see are those beasts in each house ;)

Salima Al Masrouri said...

Welcome back G ;)

P.S: By the time you update, you're not excused now...No exams and no more assignments ;p

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

IHMD: =P
I had something to blog about sometime 3-4 days ago but this whole relaxing thing made me lazier (a)

Rummz: Heeey! Thank you ^^ I did get the phone I've been wanting for like 6 months so I'm psyched!

Yes, well the driving will need time to get used to. The other day Sarz was being evil and scaring =_="

Faitho: hehe, I will do my best <3

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it