Apr 15, 2010

Not moving. Not breathing.

It was horrific. One would say, a miracle of miracles needs to happen for him to live.

I am currently in a state of shock since this is my first time I've ever seen, a strong possibility, a dead body. It is impossible to understand how the accident happened because of the point the two cars have been destroyed and I guess I'll never find out.

I was asleep in the back seat on our way back from the Sawadi Resort when I woke to the feeling of the car slowing down and my dad saying;

Dad: "A3ootho belAllah min '3athab eAllah, A3ootho belAllah min '3athab eAllah. Don't look, don't look!"

He aimed that second part to mama since I think he thought I was still asleep.

First I saw the car (silver) and the utterly horrific state it was in. A few seconds away was the other car (taxi) in a milder state than the first. Then, further away of these two cars was the helpless body of an Omani man, in a white dishdasha and a kuma, lying on the hot floor, in a puddle of his own blood that was coming out of his...head. He was on his left side; right arm over the left arm, and right leg over the left leg. I didn't see his face and I didn't want to either. The whole scene was disturbing and heart breaking.

My heart was beating so fast and eventually, I ended up in tears. Seeing the body of a human being...like that...was scary. A lifeless body, not moving, not breathing, while everything else around it is. It makes you realize how fragile and how very human we are.

Like I said, there is no way of knowing what happened (who's fault it was) unless if there were witnesses, but they are probably long gone now. I don't even know if the man was alive when we passed, or on the brink of death or somewhere in between just waiting to be saved. If he has passed on then may he rest in peace and may Allah have mercy on his soul. If he's in a struggle between life and death then God help him because it's not going to be easy getting over something like that. May God strengthen his family also when (I'm sure they've been informed by now) they hear about this horrible news and during the painful time ahead.

I wish people would wake up already and realize how bad the road situation in Oman is! What more do they need to know to tell them that this is a serious disaster that could happen to anyone! If you're not the one who made the accident then someone else would have put you in it.

I love this country, but it's roads are not safe...at all!

Allah Yustur 3aleena wa ye7meena. Ameen.

It's definitely something I'll never forget.

p.s. there's a huge difference between a dead person and a sleeping person =(

10 comments:

Maryam said...

The first time I've seen a dead body was of my Grandparent. It's the most awful feeling anyone can ever experience.

الله يرحم جميع أموات المسلمين

Salima Al Masrouri said...

3asa allah yer7amah. I remember when I was a kid I saw a dead body on the street on my way to school, it was the most horrible thing I have encountered in my life. He was like covered by his own blood. He fell out of his motor cycle.

Allah yer7am el jamee3

Enas Satir said...

that's really horrific and sad!!!
allah yir7amo isa!
actually it's not a problem with Oman's roads, we face the same problem, or even a bigger problem here in Sudan.. and also in Bahrain!
i guess it's the people and the way they drive, not the roads or the way they're designed!

cK said...

scary..

Hamdy Elgammal said...

I read this a couple of days ago but did not have a chance to comment.
انا لله و انا اليه راجعون
That's pretty sad and quite painful...I have never seen any dead human being and I hope I do not get to see any soon. From the looks of it; it sounds like the one of the most horrific experiences one could experience.

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

It is the worst experience I've had to experience in my whole life. I still can't forget about it...one of those things that won't be forgotten I guess...

Shahrazad said...

Sad :(

Even worse than that, a 20 year old relative of mine has recently lost his ability to move any part of his body (but his head) in horrific car accident! He'll be living the coming part of his life paraplegic, a reminder of that single second he almost lost his life in!

I agree with you, roads are not particularly safe, but before that we need to change the minds of drivers! Otherwise, no matter how roads change, accident rates will never change!

In March only, 70 people lost their lives in car accidents in Oman :( 798 injured, in a total of 657 car accidents. SCARY STATS!
(Source (ROP website)) : http://www.rop.gov.om/arabic/newsdetails.asp?catgid=6&newsid=1883)

DiabMan said...

Thank God I have never been in such a situation... or actually I always avoided them. Not that I have not seen or touched a dead body... but its different when its for educational purposes, and when you are looking at someone who died in a tragic accident.

Anonymous said...

Salaam sis...I'm sorry to read about what you saw. InshaAllah khair.

Missing you.
Shareen.

Remember me? :P

IHMD said...

It is sad, really sad how accedent are increasing and many people are dying because of them. I really hope the people in Oman will drive sanely and by the rules. Taxis are common part of many accedents!!!