Jun 18, 2009

[What's this?] Your life must be boring

I was washing my face yesterday night getting ready to go to bed around 11:45pm when I hear a bunch of people shouting and talking loudly in front of our house's driveway. At first I didn't pay much attention to them, because it was very obvious that they were drunk and I was really focusing on washing my face lol. But then I heard this guy shout out, loudest of all:

Drunk guy: "STACEY!!! I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!!!"

I laughed and said out loud "what the hell?!". Then I started remembering and thinking how (mostly) students here seem to only have fun when they're drunk. It's not what I came up with, it's what I've been told. Getting drunk here is like the only way you can have fun...if you don't drink then you are told that "you have a boring life" or "what do you do for fun?"...so on.

I remember back in my first year, where a friend was telling me, that his friends and himself have a special gathering every Friday at a bar where they'd drink so much at 12pm in the afternoon. That's pretty shocking and he was only 18. He used to say, that he didn't understand how 'we' (Muslims) don't drink...how do we have any fun if we don't drink?! I ended up explaining to him that you don't need to be drunk to have fun. There's a million ways of having any sort of fun with the advantage of being fully awake and aware of what you're doing and what's happening around you. At least you won't end up regretting anything the next day when you realize or remember what happened the day before. Here he replies that that's the 'beauty' of being drunk...even if you do something stupid/crazy/messed up, you won't regret it because you were drunk. You had no control over yourself. You basically can do whatever you want and won't even think twice whether to do it or not. You just do it, because you can! Shocking right?! lol. The conversation went on, where I was trying to convince him that what he's saying is stupid (lol) and that you don't need to be drunk to have fun, while in return he tries to convince me that I must go for a drink to really understand what he means. Yup! Over my dead body =)

I remembered another occasion - though I wasn't there, I was told about it by Sarz xD - also in first year of uni, where the Engineering Department had a boat race day for the students that took a certain engineering paper where they had to build mini boats with motors. On that day, each team with their built boats are to race each other and so on. They were having a bbq and stuff so that's normal, but what wasn't is the beer. Students actually ended up getting drunk during the day, where lectures were still being given even after the boat racing had ended. I remember when I met up with Sarz for lunch, she told me that T, a former class mate, just came over to her and H, where out of the blue he says 'ALLAAAAH' and made a toast like gesture at herself and H as if he was saying 'cheers' to them. How retarded is that?! lol.

I truly feel sorry for these people. I can't believe that they rely on getting drunk just to have any sort of fun. How sad is that?! It's the worst, most shocking thing I've ever heard while living here. I guess they only look at the 'good side' (if any) of drinking and ignore the bad side. It's bad enough that most, if not all, end up regretting something that they might have done or gotten into because they were too drunk to control the situation and for the fact that they 'can do whatever we want' idea when they are drunk. Sad!

All I say is...El 7amdulellah wal shukur =D

10 comments:

Muggle said...

Oh it's not only drinking. You're also boring if you don't go clubbing *rolls eyes*. I don't get what's so cool about behaving like a complete a** when you're drunk :\.
El7amdella 3la ni3mat el Islam!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

yeah there's that too...but you can't go clubbing with out drinking can you?!

*shakes head*

cK said...

im having fun by making fun of people who think we arent having any fun , while we do have fun =P

thank god for the gift of the brain in some people :D

Nadia said...

Yes, clubbing invovled Drinking. It's a sad situation. What disgusts me the most these days is the percentage of GIRLS who get totally drunk and lose control of themselves (in an ugly way), totally breaking any boundries created by respect. I have many friends in Western counries, and through their Facebook profiles/pictures, I've come to realize that the ONLY time they get to together is to drink. All their social activities revolve around drinking. Now, I'm not talking about one glass or two of beer or wine. I'm talking dead-drunk-puke-on-the-floor-crossed-eyed drunk. It's really really awful. I'm not criticizing this as a Muslim; in general it's disgusting.

nosa said...

being drunk is like turning from a human to an animal with no brain! only just following their desire..

its sad really! plus beers n wine stink! i cnt stand the smell of it at all!

n clubs stink too! i only entered a door of one 3 years bk in malaysia.. n i wanted to puke! its full of cigarette smell n beer n something rotten! maybe its ppl sweat :p

Amarant said...

lol i also had a long discussion with our CEO about wine and drinking...

i feel no matter what you say, it wont make sense to them...

cant understand those people

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

They won't understand us...we won't understand them. I guess when one is so into something, they can't let go of it or live without it =\

So much for a good choice though! >_<

Lady MAB said...

Even though I do drink (but not get drunk, thank you very much) and go clubbing, I have to agree with you.

It's become sad that that most people in our age group think that clubbing and drinking are the only ways to have fun, and it's even sadder when some people take it too far and lose all sort of self-control when it comes to these things.

Of course, like I said, I do drink and club, but I keep my self-control, and I just want to point out that not all people who drink and club are necessarily bad, or are incapable of finding other methods of having fun.

Well, there's my two cents *shrugs*

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Hiya!

So sorry hon, I don't mean to generalize or anything. I know for sure that there are people out there who don't consider drinking such a HUGE factor in their life that it's their only source of fun...but seriously, look at how the people here talk/act. They basically get wasted! There are moderate drinkers, I know, but why should it be their only source of fun or source to have fun?

This is what's disturbing about it! That's all =P

Hamdy Elgammal said...

That's such an empty, depressed, life they seem to live. How's that ANY fun at all?

Allah yehdeehum -_-