May 5, 2009

[What's this?] A Salam and a Smile

There is this saying that goes like..."a smile is contagious", right?! WRONG!!

So the Muslims, especially the Arabs, have this problem with smiling back when someone smiles at them AND...get this, when someone says "AL SALAMU ALAIKUM" to them also. I seriously don't get that @_@ This has been a "abnormality" since a long time, but it seems to get worse and worse as years go by.

So there are situations where I'm walking in one direction and a Muslim girl (particularly the Saudi's and Somalians) heading in the opposite direction. So basically we pass by each other. Us being "sisters" in Islam we should at least say Salam or if too lazy 8-\, then smile. But apparently, smiling has become a mission itself O.o In both cases, I get no reaction *fashla*. Once I said "Salamu alaikum" and smiled too. All I got was a long stare and no reply.

G: "O....K! What was that about?! O.o"

So after that, I just smiled to any Muslima I see, but still no use with some *don't want to generalize*

I remember another occasion that happened a while back, where Sara and I were at Bongo filling (=P) our containers with sushi, and there was this Muslima with her husband, looking around seeing what's there to eat. The place somehow got crowded and Sara and I stood against the wall waiting for people to clear the place so we can select the sushi we want. The girl passed RIGHT infront of us. She was looking at us hard out so I smiled and guess what?! She looks away =S Then Sara tells me...

Sara: "I just smiled at that lady and she ignored me O.o"
G: "Even me. I smiled and she ignored...how rude =S"

This is something I really don't like. Fine, if you don't want to smile back okay, but when someone says el salam, you should most probably reply back - rodoo el salam. Also, when they flippin stare it's as if it's the first time they see an Arab, Mu7ajaba (wearing a scarf), Muslim girl. That's just weird, because Mashallah there are many mu7ajabat at uni from all over the Middle East + Asia. So what's the problem exactly?

This doesn't happen with the majority of the non-Arabs/Muslims, it's more like they take the "first move" and they don't stare much either (and if they do stare, then it'd be because of the scarf - 7ejab, which in a way is understandable), which I find disappointing knowing that our fellow "sisters" (in our case) don't do that even though they don't take the "first move"!

(^______^)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sad...

I feel what you are saying. From the Muslims I have seen most of them think highly of themselves and think they are better than any other human being. That is why they never answer or say anything back.

They say they are Muslims but look at their actions...

cK said...

saying salam back after hearing it said to you is a MUST in islam :/ , as squinty said, some think highly of themselves "shayfeen 3omrhom" , these people shouldnt be respected or said anything at all

salam ^__^

Unknown said...

We intimidate them.

'nuff said

Muggle said...

It's actually the extreme opposite here where everyone smiles at each other (talking about Muslimaat). Depsite the fact that there are so many Muslims here, it's still nice to see them ^.^

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

@squinty: Yeah it is...I'm not really sure if "thinking highly of themselves" is the main reason...it could be part of it though. I still don't understand why they're like that.

@cK: exactly! Salam to you =D

@Sarz: tee-hee =P

@muggle: that's really great. There are a lot of Muslims here which is great and you'd think we're like a little community who'd stick together so we should AT LEAST say salam to each other, but it's not like that, I guess.

Enas Satir said...

i can totally relate.. but i thought this is only a problem with sudanese only - i am sudanese-that when i meet any sudanese, they ignore my greeting,they either stare at me, or they act as if they can't see me,
why is that?!!!

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Really @satir?! That's just even more sad..like they're you're own people =\

Well I'm neither Saudi or Somalian, but still just being Muslims/Arabs we should greet each other...and yet that's still not enough to do so =S

I have more confidence in saying Salam/Smile to an Omani (only because I know most xD), Indonesian, Indian, and a Kiwi (hi in their case), because I know they'll reply, but sheesh when it comes to those 2 nationalities I blogged about, like my mind goes into this

"say hi. no don't say hi. but I should say. nah they won't reply. but I should be the better person...." lol. ah well, what to do huh!?

Thanx for passing by! ^__^

Hamdy Elgammal said...

That's pretty sad...Perhaps people are too 'cautious' when they're outside their friendly surroundings. But it's kind of hard trying to find excuses for not replying a Salam...I mean, it's the most basic expression of politeness available.

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

quote:"it's the most basic expression of politeness available"

Exactly...

TripleTee said...

ROFL...hahaha...that's hilarious... G-chan dear.. I wouldn't ask you to stop smiling.. but.. since not many give a face you should be the same.

I was in the same situation here and I learnt to just pass by without a care unless I knew the person or the person smiled at me.. then I'd smile back.

TripleTee said...

Btw.. what's with the post approval thing going on... has someone been cussing people out around blogs?

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

loool tee, thanx for the advice ^__^

and about the comment approval thing, it only happens with posts that are 4 days older. that's with me anyway...don't know about others.