Feb 26, 2009

[What's this?] In the middle

OK...to me this is quite a sensitive topic to talk about and I think most people would find that as well.

Closed and open minded-ness....

Where should I start! Let's just say I REALLY HATE IT when someone calls me "closed-minded" and not just that, it's worst coming from a close friend. I find it in a way very disrespectful and it shows/tells me that my friend(s) don't accept me for who I am, or what I think and believe in. Isn't that just wrong! Friend(s) are not supposed to be like this. The thing is also I feel that some people misuse this word....a lot!!!! They misuse it because the reason(s) why they'd call someone "Closed-minded" are just simple and stupid (especially the reasons that I get called that "word" for) and don't deserve such a big/harsh word.

Now here's the crazy thing. Some time after being called "closed-minded" or sometimes in the same day some other friend comes and says to me "You're so far away from your culture now...and you've lived in NZ for too long that you've become westernized..."...and this was all said because I decided to learn the guitar, which somewhat gave me an idea that I'm "too open-minded". Is that even a good enough reason to say ALL that stuff...."westernized"? I remember asking that friend...what's the difference between playing a 3ood and a guitar? Aren't they the same family and it's music?! I got "The 3ood is part of our culture" as an answer............

So where does this put me between my friends? It's like I'm stuck in the middle. The too too "open-minded" friend(s) want me to become like them....and at the same time I have those other friends (I don't want to call them close-minded but sometimes...) that think playing a guitar is "westernization" and the feeling that I got -- "open-minded" want me to become like them. This is what I feel...like I'm not accepted by either side =S

Bottom line is...I am who I am and there's no way in hell I'm changing over stupid reasons like the one's above and the ones I didn't mention (here's my stubborn side for yah =P).

That's all!

=D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't choose to be either, but people can since what is close minded to him might be open minded to another him. So what you basically do is doing what you believe in without letting such comments affect your life to the point it becomes 'hate'.

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

No no...they're not affecting my life. These things are actually just making me stronger and tells me that I'm being the correct one =) Cos I'm in the middle right?! =D
I mean I did write in the end that I would never change no matter what...didn't I?! It's true...I haven't changed =)

The main reason why I wrote about this is because these comments (open-minded, closed-minded) came from really close-friends. You'd think that friends would accept/respect you for who you are and they shouldn't try to change you...but it doesn't seem like that with me. I feel that I'm being pulled by each side...

thanx for commenting...who ever you are...you do make a really good point =)

NiGhTFaCe said...

So now are you closed minded or open one?! =P


For these who speak of the culture & they say the Guitar isn't part of it & maybe these people are these who listen to Arabic music, maybe they aren't aware that the Guitar is one of the instruments used to play Arabic songs.

I wonder do they bring Western guitar players for these songs =S

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

=D

Exaaaaaactly!!! @ what you said about the guitar. Or they may not listen to any music at all...

Muggle said...

Aww.. I know how it feels. As long as you know you're doing the right thing then no one has the right to change you ;).

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Yeah!

Thanx hon! ^_^