Mar 11, 2009

In the System

Laaaah *holy music* and winter is upon us...or it's more like a cold front (is this the right term? xD) coming from Antarctica or something. I'm loving it, but all my warm, wintery clothes are put away >.< so I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd like to. The wind attacked us today. Sara's scarf turned into a parachute, and I got put in a "Marlin Monroe situation" -_______- loool.

Uni is...normal I guess.
I think I did a mean thing the other day...to someone I don't even know xD
This new Indian chick joined our COMP442 class and poor thing she was all over the place. Doesn't know anything. So Sara was helping her out telling her what to do and where to go *the Indian girl was sitting next to Sara, I was sitting on Sara's other side*, while I listend to the lecturer.

Ian: "We're expecting 2 new students to this class...are they here?
Class: ......... *chatter*
Ian: "Is Veraa and <another name> here?"
Class: ......... *chatter*
Ian: *got angry because the 2 new students didn't show up so he just started explain what's going to "go down" in the lecture*

Then I say to the new Indian girl:

G: "What's your name?"
Indian girl: "My name? Veera"
G: "Umm...the lecturer just called your name."
Veera: =O "What should I do?"
G: "Ah just raise your hand and tell him who you are."

Poor girl actually stood up (to our surprise) raising her hand and waving it shouting out what seemed like in a "loud voice":

Veera: "Sir...excuse me sir! ......... Sir! Excuse me!"
Ian:*looking at the floor talking* "and my phd student veronica is going to explain to you how this digital book works........"

Ian wasn't even looking at us so he wasn't able to see her xD

G: "Ah you don't have to stand up."
Veera: "hahaha...did I look ridicoulus?!"
G: "Hehe...not at all. You know what, after the lecture just go up to Ian and tell him that you were here."
Veera: "Alright, thank you =)"

I think she's totally new her and hasn't learned the "system". I guess she's still following her countries system?!

Now you guys are probably wondering why I call my lecturer by his first name...this is how it is here. The lecturer's prefer the students to call them by their first names instead of sir, doctor or professor. I remember when Ian first introduced himself to us (class) he totally emphasized on us not to call him sir, or doctor, etc...but to just call him Ian; after that been said, a Saudi guy goes, after being asked if his name was pronounced correctly:

Saudi: "yes sir! That's correct sir."
Ian: "Ok good but don't call me sir." he actually turned red xD

When we want to say something, we don't have to raise our hand or stand up. We can just go "excuse me <insert lecturers first name> but why is the bla bla bla, bla bla?!". Though we usually raise our hands.

Work and reading are already piling up O.O so will have to be serious about all of this...lol.

Have started a drawing, but again I failed miserably in it. I've lost the "will" to draw...which kinda sucks. I don't know what I'm going to do about the drawing because I feel that there's no point continueing with it.

Anyways, I'm off to sleep.

G'Night.

4 comments:

Lost in thought said...

Haha, nice to know the Uni culture. Its very different from place to place. In the universities in the sub continent (India, Bangladesh,Pakistan etc.) no one uses first name to call the lecturers. Its always Sir, Professor, Dr. And the lecturers like that and want that kind of respect.

The western culture has adopted the more friendly version!

In the Arab countries they most common word for lecturer is Mr. *first name*. Or sometimes even Mr (that brings back memories of the Arabic accent heavy "Mr" lol) and sometimes "teacher, teacher" lol

As for me I use sir, cause that's something that I'm used to from my School days ..

Zaytoon Wo Za3tar said...

Yeah exactly!
Actually it's like that in Oman as well. I remember when I was in school, I always called the men teachers Sir or Mr. and if he was an Arab I'd call him "Ostath". If it was a woman then Mrs. or Ms.!
When I went to SQU to meet my dad's student's they all called him Doctor.

The girl spoke me today and asked me what should she call the lecturer and I told her "Ian"...poor girl she's having a rough time adjusting.

=D

cK said...

i just ask -.- no name or sir or mr. , thats college i guess

Amarant said...

lol @ the new girl xD

that's a nice system u got there, more informal and friendly ;)

i usually say Dr. or Sir at SQU.

I remember we had this sweet/hyper/funny instructor,she's soooooo sweet but she always say: plz call me Dr.Baxton not Miss Baxton, i didnt spend 5 yrs in PhD to be called Miss xD